01. The document containing the auspicious times for the traditional Sinhala and Tamil New Year handed over to President Ranil Wickremesinghe: ‘Nekath Seettuwa’, the time table of New Year rituals presented by Buddhasasana, Religious and Cultural Affairs Minister Vidura Wickramanayake at the President’s Office: The Sinhala and Tamil New Year symbolises the transition of the Sun from constellations Pisces to Aries.
02. The first school term for 2023 ends today: Schools to reopen on April 17, 2023: The Education Ministry says school students will receive a holiday for the Sinhala and Tamil New Year.
03. The Election Commission is set to meet today on the holding of the LG Polls: Commission Chief Nimal Punchihewa says the date of the Polls will be decided after April 10, 2023; asserts if the necessary funds are provided before the 10th, there is a possibility of holding postal voting before April 25, 2023.
04. State-run LP Gas distributor LITRO announces the prices of domestic gas cylinders will drop from midnight today: Company Chief Muditha Peiris says the price of a 12.5 kg domestic gas cylinder will drop by about Rs. 1000.
05. The Catholic Bishops’ Conference urges the government to uphold the Constitution and democracy of Sri Lanka and not to proceed with any “unwarranted measures to interfere with the independence of the Judiciary and preserve the Freedom of Speech and Expression of all its citizens.”
06. President Ranil Wickremesinghe says the agreement with the IMF would be presented to Parliament for a vote on whether to support it; adds following this, the key points of the agreements would be enacted into law.
07. Labour and Foreign Employment Minister Manusha Nanayakkara says the duty-free allowances given to migrant workers at the Airport will be increased from May 01, 2023; asserts migrant workers will be entitled to additional duty concessions based on the amount they spend.
08. The appeal filed by the Attorney General challenging the dropping of charges under the PTA against IUSF Convener Wasantha Mudalige by the Colombo Magistrate Court to be called in before the Colombo High Court on June 01, 2023.
09. A protest march organised by the Inter-University Students’ Federation in Colombo against the repression unleashed at state universities dispersed by Police: Tear gas and water cannons thrown at protesters.
10. Former Health Minister Rajitha Senaratne says the United National Party and the Samagi Jana Balawegaya have no difference in policy, and therefore must unite to rebuild the country under President Ranil Wickremesinghe.