HRCSL urges consolidation of Gender Bills and strengthening Women’s Commission
Colombo (LNW): The Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka (HRCSL) has provided recommendations to the government concerning the National Women’s Commission Bill, the Gender Equality Bill, and the Women’s Empowerment Bill. The HRCSL suggests:
- Consolidating the Gender Equality Bill and the Women’s Empowerment Bill into a single unified Bill.
- Housing the Gender Equality Council within the upgraded department replacing the Women’s Bureau.
- Considering the designation of the new department as the ‘Department for Gender Equality.’
- Strengthening the appointment process for the National Women’s Commission.
- Promptly publishing the three Bills to facilitate meaningful public consultation on their content.
These recommendations were conveyed in a letter addressed to President Ranil Wickremesinghe on Friday (17).