01. President Ranil Wickremesinghe is set to deliver a special statement at 8.00pm tonight overall radio & TV channels regarding the measures being taken by the Government over the past 09 months to revive the economy & Sri Lanka’s future social, economic & political reform programme.
02. CEYPETCO revises retail fuel prices with effect from midnight yesterday: Octane 92 Petrol slashed by Rs. 15 per litre, new price Rs. 318; Octane 95 Petrol increased by Rs. 20 per litre, new price Rs. 385; Lanka Super Diesel by Rs. 10 per litre, new price Rs. 340; Lanka Kerosene slashed by Rs. 50 per litre, new price Rs. 245; Lanka Industrial Kerosene slashed by Rs. 60 per litre, new price Rs. 270: Lanka IOC also revises fuel prices consequent to CEYPETCO.
03. Bruno Divakara, owner of ‘SL-Vlog’ YouTube Channel, arrested by the CID in connection with stand-up comedian Nathasha Edirisooriya’s comments allegedly insulting Buddhism: Arrest made after over eight hours of questioning.
04. The government refutes the allegation of it not properly funding the State’s Poson Programme in Anuradhapura; asserts Rs. 28.8 million has already been granted in this regard; adds two Ministries and one Department have contributed a sum of Rs. 28.8 million in this regard; reveals the allocation made by the Buddhashasana, Religious and Cultural Affairs Ministry for this year’s Poson Mihinthale Perahera was “the highest since 2019.”
05. Sampath Bank denies certain media reports claiming that the Bank’s financial status has become unstable, stating that they are completely false; asserts the Bank has “the best balance sheet amongst the commercial banks in SL”; adds legal action will be taken against everyone accountable for the promotion of these false information.
06. The United Nations’ Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) and the World Food Programme (WFP) jointly issue a statement, revealing that an estimated 17% of the population is in moderate acute food insecurity in Sri Lanka, especially in the Northern, Eastern and Central Provinces, indicating an improvement compared to 2022.
07. President Ranil Wickremesinghe holds a discussion with representatives of the ‘Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’ focusing the digitisation of data in Sri Lanka’s agricultural sector; adds it is important to continue the government’s efforts to modernise the sector, improve nutrition, address climate change, and enhance financial security.
08. A High-Level Technical Team of 08 professionals from the Federal University of Viçosa, Federal University of Sao Carlos and the Brazilian Cooperation Agency (ABC) set to undertake a technical visit to SL with a view to providing Brazil’s technical assistance for the development and capacity building of the Dairy and Sugarcane industries in SL, from 09 to 21 June 2023: Field visits set for Udawalawe, Kandy, Mawanella and Kurunegala etc.
09. Internal sources claim that the SLPP will be putting forward their own candidate for the upcoming Presidential Polls: The move is said to be made just after the calling in of the Polls, until which time the SLPP wishes to continue governing the country under President Wickremesinghe’s leadership.
10. Sri Lankan speedstar Matheesha Pathirana named in the Wisden Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 XI after his outstanding performances for Chennai Super Kings (CSK) following the conclusion of the richest franchise T20 Cricket Tournament of the world.