1. Director General, Government Information Dept says the Gazette notification required to commence the LG Election process with the signatures of the Chairman and other members of the Election Commission, has not been sent to the Government Printer.
2. Chairman of the Election Commission says the news release, purportedly issued by the DG of the Dept of Government Information is misleading: requests public not to be misled by misinformation spread to create doubts in their minds: reiterates the EC would not be deterred by acts of intimidation.
3. Minister of Energy Kanchana Wijesekera says a charge sheet is being prepared to remove the Chairman of the Public Utilities Commission Janaka Ratnayake: also says all ruling party MPs have approved the move: PUC Chairman Janaka Ratnayake says he is eagerly awaiting the charge sheet to be sent against him.
4. Ceylon Chamber of Commerce Chief Economist Shiran Fernando says the Chamber is expecting an economic contraction of 2% only in 2023, which is much lower than projected by international agencies: thinks consumption will pick up as the year progresses in particular the 2H.
5. President Canned Fish Manufacturers Association Shiran Fernando says the “Blue Economy” is a relatively easy way out for Sri Lanka to generate employment and export earnings: also says facilitating extensive fish farming, proper handling, and storage would be key in achieving this goal.
6. 82,000 candidates from more than 30 political parties and independent groups to contest for 8,771 seats in 340 local councils at the LG elections scheduled for March 9.
7. Colombo Archbishop Cardinal Ranjith says today’s Catholic Church does not need ‘sacristy Catholics’ but those who fight for justice: also says turning every lay person into a mature Christian fit for leadership, should be the foremost duty of the Church.
8. Local representatives of (1) Mingyang Smart Energy Group (2) Envision Energy (3) Jade Power/Hydrostor and (4) China Machinery Engineering Corporation who claim to have wind energy projects with investments over USD 2 bn say their projects have been under consideration for over 2 years by the BOI: seek an urgent meeting with President Ranil Wickremesinghe to break the impasse.
9. Apparel workers are returning to their villages unable to fight the crisis of lost labour hours as most small scale garment businesses are heading towards an alarming situation by March 2023 when wages could get delayed and loans go unpaid.
10. Cricket Match Referee Vanessa de Silva named as the Match Referee for the Final of the ICC Under 19 Women’s T20 World Cup 2023: De Silva will be the first Sri Lankan Woman to officiate an ICC World Cup Final.